Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Rhetorical Devices

Sparks has a compelling way of encaptivating his readers. He does this through intriguing flashbacks and anecdotes. The novel is told through the anecdote of fifty-seven year old Landon Carter. In many instances, Sparks will foreshadow the present. For example, in the end of chapter two, Sparks does a side remark  *"It wasnt until later that I would learn the reason why..."*

Sparks also uses many biblical allusions and verses. Not only did this empower the possible validity of this novel, but emphasized the possible reality of it. One of my all time favorite verses is in chapter 12, "I cry to you my Lord, my rock! Do not be deaf to me, for if you are silent...".  These allusions had an impact on me when reading it because it made me contemplate more about the plot and about how it connected to my own life. Sparks also asks a lot of rhetorical questions which gets the readers thinking and involved.

The last major rhetorical device Sparks successfully used was imagery. Many of his scenes described were so discriptive and clear in my mind that even the movie couldn't depict. "The sky is overcast and gray, but as I move down the street, I notice that the dogwoods and azaleas are blooming. I zip up my jacket just a little. The temperature is..." As I read this paragraph, my sensory details went into play and I could vividly imagine the feeling, and the sight of what Sparks was trying to portray. Job well done!

No comments:

Post a Comment